Greater Indianapolis Area Neighborhoods
By Tiffany Dailey, About.com Guide
Getting to Know the Greater Indianapolis Area
Before delving into the nuances of the many neighborhoods in Indianapolis, it helps to get a glimpse of the bigger picture -- an overview of the city as a whole. Indianapolis is the capital of Indiana. Nearly 800,000 people call it home, making it the 14th largest city in the U.S. Here you can find out about Indianapolis's demographics, culture, arts, weather, and more.
- The People of Indianapolis: A Statistical Profile
- Typical Indy Weather: Highs, Lows and Precipitation
- Indianapolis Map and Overview of Major Thoroughfares
- Ten Things to Love About Indianapolis
- Theatres and Performing Arts Venues
- Music and Film Festivals
- Operas, Choirs, Symphonies and Orchestras
There's a lot going on in Castleton, located on Indianapolis's far northeast side. Sprouting little more than crops a few decades ago, the community is now home to more than 40,000 residents. A shopper's paradise, it features Indiana's biggest mall and a bevy of other retail chains and specialty stores. Equally at home in Castleton are office parks, dining establishments, and a host of hotels, surrounded by upper-middle-class subdivisions and apartment complexes.