Once a railroad stop, Castleton, Indiana has blossomed in recent decades into one of Indianapolis, Indiana's most popular suburban neighborhoods. While home to more than 40,000 northeast-side Indy residents, Castleton is heavily influenced by the retail industry and offers shopping options galore. Equally at home in Castleton are office parks, dining establishments, and a host of hotels.
Castleton is located in the northeast corner of Indianapolis, at the southern terminus of Interstate 69. It is easily accessible from I-465 and I-69. For a more detailed geographic view of the area, check out Realtor.com’s boundary map.
With 49% of its population falling in the 25- to 54-year-old age group, most of the residents who call Castleton home are well-educated, middle- to upper-class, white-collar workers. Many are employed in the business and retail industries.
According to the 2000 U.S. Census, the population of Castleton was 41,741, with the following breakdown:
- Men: 49%
- Women: 51%
- Households with children under age 18: 13%
- Approx. percentage of population by age range:
- 19 and under - 25%
- 20 to 34 - 25%
- 35 to 44 - 17%
- 45 to 54 - 15%
- 55 to 64 - 8%
- 65 and over - 10%
Real Estate and Apartments:
The average home price in Castleton is $205,450. And given that the 2000 U.S. Census reported that 41% of Castleton’s housing units were renter-occupied, you can rest assured you’ll find no shortage of apartment complexes offering a host of amenities.
Shopping is the name of the game at Castleton Square Mall, the largest mall in the state of Indiana with over 130 retailers, including Sears, JCPenney, Macy’s, and Von Maur. Shoppers looking for a more upscale experience will enjoy the Fashion Mall at Keystone, a short three miles west of Castleton Square on East 82nd Street. The Fashion Mall is host to Saks Fifth Avenue and Nordstrom, as well as many luxury retailers. The strip between the two malls and the surrounding areas boast an abundance of national retailers, discount department stores, and specialty shops, as well.
You’ll never run out of things to do in Castleton. A few of the area’s many attractions include:
- Movie theaters: You can take in a movie at the UA Galaxy Stadium 14 at 8105 E. 96th Street or at AMC Castleton Square 14 in Castleton Square Mall.
- Sahm Park: Sports, anyone? Sahm Park features an outdoor aquatic center, tennis courts, a basketball court, sand volleyball courts, soccer fields, a fitness trail, picnic shelters, and an 18-hole golf course.
- Laser tag: Check out X-Site Amusement and Recreation Center behind Castleton Square Mall for arcade games and high-tech laser tag at its best.
Castleton is home to its fair share of bars, including:
- The Ale Emporium, 8617 Allisonville Rd.: Offers over 100 domestic and imported beers, plus billiards, live entertainment, and an arcade.
- D’vine, 5252 E. 82nd St.: Wine bar featuring wines from around the world in a relaxed atmosphere.
- The Spot, 6155 E. 86th St.: Casual sports and billiards venue with 96-inch projection screens, oversized plasma screens, and outdoor seating.
You can find nearly every type of restaurant imaginable in Castleton, from fast-food franchises to the finest dining. The following is just a sampling:
- Adobo Grill, 4939 E. 82nd St.: Mexican entrees and margaritas are staples at this restaurant, featuring happy hour and dollar tacos from 4 to 6 p.m. on weekdays.
- The Melting Pot, 5650 E. 86th St.: Fondues are the specialty of this restaurant, which offers a four-course dining experience.
- Loon Lake Lodge Restaurant and Bar, 6880 E. 82nd St.: With an airplane anchored to its roof, this restaurant is hard to miss. It features steak, seafood, chicken, ribs, pasta, and more.
- Asaka Japanese Restaurant, 6414 E. 82nd St.: Asaka serves authentic Japanese cuisine, with a full-service Sushi bar and menu items ranging from squid to tofu to skewered chicken meatballs.
- Sangiovese Ristorante, 4110 E. 82nd St.: This romantic restaurant featuring Italian food and wine also hosts special events, including art exhibits, weekly jazz bands, and wine tasting.
- MCL Restaurant & Bakery, 5520 Castleton Corner Lane: Since 1950, this cafeteria-style family restaurant has boasted a generous selection of entrees, breads, soups, salads, desserts and more — homemade daily.